The only way to stay calm, cool and collected this summer is to ensure that your air conditioning system is fully functioning from the start. Maintaining your air conditioner should not be a job that is done at the last minute or when the sizzling season has began, it should begin well beforehand. The blistering heat of the summer is right around the corner and there is one question you need to ask yourself: Is my air conditioner ready?
Each year that your air conditioner does not have its maintenance checks, it will lose about 5 percent of its efficiency. This is why it is highly imperative that you follow this guide to ensure that your AC system is performing at optimum efficiency throughout the hot summer months. Here are a few fool proof ways to make sure you are not left to simmer with a faulty unit this summer.
At least a month before the hot summer weather commences, it is important to do the following in preparation:
- Have your system checked and serviced by a qualified professional before the heat begins, as the service engineers will be in high demand once the summer commences.
- Switch the air conditioner on at full blast to ensure that it’s working properly.
- Keep the outside unit clear of any debris which can take the form of leaves, sticks, plants, and more. Make sure that any plants or shrubbery are groomed, as this will guarantee proper air flow for the air conditioning unit.
Once the summer has begun, maintain in the following ways:
- Clean the coils or hire someone to do it. Your air conditioner can collect dirt and grime if it hasn’t been cleaned efficiently enough. The dirt prevents it from working properly during the hot months.
- Clean the drains or hire someone to do it. This will also avoid excessive moisture discoloring your walls, something you want to avoid at all costs.
- If by any chance the fins on the condensing unit become bent, they can easily be straightened with a thin comb or by calling your local AC repair company.
Aim to keep your AC unit well maintained throughout the summer by following these guidelines, and you will enjoy peace of mind knowing your home will be cool and comfortable all summer long.